A new improved way to count Alicyclobacillus in beverageS
Alicyclobacillus acidoterrestris, also known as Thermophilic Acidophilic Bacteria (TAB) is a cause of microbial spoilage in fruit juices, juice related products or syrups. Its inconspicuous nature can lead to large-scale spoilage incidents with serious consequences for the beverage industry. Control and detection of the organism at its very early stage of microcolony in the manufacturing process is therefore crucial.
With Diamidex technology and MICA equipment, it is now possible to detect and count them in 3 minutes, after just 24 hours of incubation on Petri dishes (48 hours according to the specificities of the matrix).
Why choosing MICA Alicyclobacillus?
FASTER THAN EVER
.An incubation reduced to 24 hours (48 hours depending on matrice specificities) compared to 5 days with the traditional method – Results rendering in 3 minutes
LABORATORY QUALITY & SAME PROCESS
IFU method No. 12:2019 standards compliant – Equivalent results with the standard agar plate for Alicyclobacillus acidoterrestris presence/absence – Exact same procedure with one reactive added between membrane and Agar.
Detection and counting from 1 CFU* of Alicyclobacillus acidoterrestris & Alicyclobacillus spp. per membrane – Same detection level (1 CFU*) wether samples are 1, 10 or 100 mL.
* Colony Forming Units
HIGHLY PROFITABLE METHOD
An ultra competitive price of 6€ – 7$ per test with degressive rates – Non technical method.
Optimize your stock rotation management on the soft drink growing market
- Revenue in the Soft Drinks segment wordlwide amounts to US$667,384m in 2020. The market is expected to grow annually by 6.5% (CAGR 2020-2025).
- In global comparison, most revenue is generated in the United States (US$200,290m in 2020).
- In relation to total population figures, per person revenues of US$89.67 are generated in 2020.
- The average per capita consumption stands at 45.2 L in 2020
Datas extracted from statista.com
- Alicyclobacillus acidoterrestris is a non-pathogenic bacterium. It is an acid tolerant thermophylic microorganism that produce endospores. It was first isolated from soil.
- As a spore, it is strongly heat resistant and capable to survive the usual heat processes and pasteurization used in the fruit juice and beverrage industry.
- Its presence in consumer packaged products has been reported to cause flavour and odour spoilage problems described as “Antiseptic” or “Hammy”.
- MICA Alicyclobacillus allows to detect many strains : A. acidoterrestris, A. cycloheptanicus, A. herbarius, A. hesperidum A. contaminans, A. acidiphilus & A. acidocaldarius.
MICA, the first smart microcolony counter on the market
An extreme sensitivity allowing to detect microorganisms at their early culturable stage
Thanks to an unmatched optical resolution among colonies counters, MICA is capable of detecting and counting microorganisms at their microcolony stage.
- Automated Smartscan: 70 shots per membrane
Fluorescence detection and bright field
Integrated safety and traceability
MICA includes a software according to the targeted microorganism. The use of MICA is 21 CFR Part 11 compliant. The analysis history is accessible, and all data are exportable and can be integrated into a LIMS or CRM system making of MICA an essential decision support tool.
A semi-automatic solution, easy to use and to implement
Designed as a turnkey solution, MICA is easy to use and to implement, by all technicians. The operator is guided step-by-step through a simplified protocol according to the targeted microorganism. The automatic counting of microcolonies ensures fewer uninterpretable results than traditional culture method, faster
A smart counter easily integrated into a LEAN management system
MICA has been specifically created to meet laboratories’ and industrials’ needs to improve their productivity. Technician time savings are made thanks to a simplified protocol, including function such as repeatability of results & readings. Results are released faster to the client allowing a better microbiological workflow.
Comparative table of available Alicyclobacillus methods
|Method||Detection threshold||Time to result||Limits||Misc.|
|IFU Method No. 12||1 CFU per 10 mL||5 days + 3 days||Recommended method|
|Diamidex||1 CFU per 10 mL||24 – 48 h + 3 minutes reading||Equivalent to the Recommended method|
|PCR||100 cells per mL or per g||Approx. 48h + 2 – 2.5h||Spores can not be detected.||Preincubation is necessary to detect the low levels commonly of interest|
|Flow cytometry||minimum ~ 103 cells per mL or per g||Approx. 10h||The detection limit is considered to be relatively high|
|Gene probes||minimum ~ 103 cells per mL or per g||48h pre-incubation + 3h||The detection limit is considered to be relatively high|
|Flow VIT Vermicon||minimum ~ 103 cells per mL or per g||48h + 3 minutes detection||The detection limit is considered to be relatively high||The simple and robust procedure requires no special knowledge or training|
THE BACTERIA WE CAN DETECT
Results in 48 hours
CFU > 100/L
Only culturable Legionella pneumophila
Results in 24 & 48 hours
1 CFU / membrane
Only culturable TAMC & TYMC
Results in 8 hours
Only culturable coliforms
Grand Luminy Technopole,
Zone Luminy Entreprise Biotech, Case 922
163 Avenue de Luminy, 13288 Marseille Cedex 09